In the original Kid Icarus, most enemies (excluding bosses) automatically drop Hearts once defeated. These can be traded in for goods at any store, and a very large amount of Hearts can be traded at the black market in exchange for stolen weapons. The size of the Heart depends on the enemy defeated, and each possesses a different value:
As in the previous installments, Hearts are dropped by all enemies when defeated and will give Pit points for collecting them. Similar to earlier titles, he can use these to purchase weapons from the Arms Altar in the game's menu. Hearts dropped by enemies are automatically collected, while ones found on the ground still have to be picked up manually. Additionally, Pit can offer Hearts to either Palutena or Viridi, though this has no effect on gameplay.
- • Small Heart: Worth 1 Heart.
- • Half Heart: Worth 5 Hearts.
- • Big Heart: Worth 10 Hearts.
- • Golden Heart: Worth 100 Hearts.
- • Big Golden Heart: Worth 500 Hearts.
- The Big Heart bears a striking visual resemblance to Heart Containers from the Legend of Zelda series.